Reminder!!! – Periodically go to Dropbox location to get updated versions of The Art Primer. As of 5/6/2018 the latest version is 6.2.15.
My objectives in creating the primer
As I began pulling the pieces together for this primer I became overwhelmed with how much excellent material was available on art and art history on the internet. My initial objectives were very simple because this was being developed for my granddaughters in the summer of 2016:
- Provide a tool to make learning art and art history fun
- Provide an initial introduction to some of the great artists and their work which may encourage them to want to learn more
As I began to share the initial releases of the primer with others I began to get positive feedback which encouraged me to do more with the primer. See the section on Feedback. My objectives expanded in that I wanted to:
- Create a tool that people of all ages would use
- Create a tool that people would use regardless of their knowledge of art
- Create a document that my granddaughters would be proud of and one day share with their children and grandchildren
What you will find inside and working with the primer
- Information on more than 230 pieces of art (and 144 artists) with hyperlinks to approximately 450 additional pieces of art accessed via a hyperlink.
- A table providing an introduction to the 21 periods of art history
- One page, chocked full of knowledge for each period beginning with the Middle-Ages including pictures of the art and information with hyperlinks for the art piece, the artist, the period, and even the museum at which it is housed
- 51 famous paintings (for all periods) with the same information found on the art for each period
- 51 famous artists (their picture) with a table providing artist highlights, nationality, years of birth and death, period i n which they painted, and references to additional pieces of work
- A summary table of number of artists (151) found in the document by nationality, with hyperlinks o the details to the section by artist by country
- A table with all 151 artists sorted by year of birth
- A table with all art pieces sorted alphabetically full loaded with hyperlinks to easily explore more about the piece (228 pieces)
- A full reference table for the artists sorted alphabetically also loaded with hyperlinks for further exploration – an additional 450 links to art
- A listing, with hyperlinks of the top 109 art museums in world, sorted by number of annual visitors
- A section providing links to the ancient art periods
- A section on art styles with hyperlinks for those who want to expand their knowledge beyond what is covered in the primer
- A section on art media – the materials used by artists to create their art
- A section on artists – 79 with hyperlinks for research - courtesy of Arthistory.net
Suggestions on working with the primer
- It is best to use while being connected to the internet; but the internet is only required when hyperlinking outside of the document. I would suggest following the document in the order is put together – but you may want to go to the (TOC) – Table of Contents - and simply explore the sections which may interest you
- As you come across something of interest which includes a hyperlink, leave the document via the hyperlink, explore more on yo ur own, and return when you are ready.
- I would encourage you to simply view all the art work and information on the artists and research more at your own comfort level
Since I needed to spread quite a bit of information (art or artist information) in table form across the top of a page, It turned out using landscape mode was best. In addition, one would probably not print the entire document in that it is long and it could use a lot of your ink to print everything. Each page you select will print in landscape mode.
I started with Version 1 in the early summer of 2016 and officially felt it was completed in September 2016, I continually made enhancements and began adding Version numbers. It probably is not interesting to know what changed along the way, but I would like to state that the current Version 6 has over 1,000 hours of my effort to make this a document which would meet my objectives to the best of my abilities.
Dedication of the Art Primer
I wish to dedicate this to my two granddaughters, Addy and Baily who have made my life so complete since they were born. After visiting the Pr ado Museum in Madrid in April 2016, I came to the realization that I wanted to learn more about art and history; and I wanted my granddaughters to have exposure to the great artists and their works. By creating this primer I was able to start the process for myself, Addy, and Baily.
I would also like to thank, posthumously, my school secretary at Berwyn Elementary, Ms. McGee. She must have been a true lover of art to take the time each month to impart her knowledge to a group of sixth graders. Her instruction, at a minimum, allowed me to recognize the works of some of the Masters over the years. More than likely, if I had not had the early instruction, I would have not realized how important it is for young children to learn something about the artists and their work. Of course, I also want to dedicate this to my wife Terry who encouraged me along the way. When it was complete and she reviewed it, I asked her what I should change to make it better; she replied, “I would not change anything – it is perfect”. After viewing the document you will see it is far from perfect, but I hope you find it a great tool.
Feedback would be appreciated
I would really like to hear back from you. My personal email is MikeWalden1950@gmail.com. I truly hope you find enjoyment in what I created for my granddaughters.